Friday, October 26, 2012

Park Days

Shortly after Steven was born, I was trying to nurse him and he wasn't cooperating. I had all the gates up and the doors to the outside were locked. It got very quiet so I got up and Rick and Todd were in the bathroom getting ready to take a bath. Rick loved baths and would often take several baths a day. I thought, I won't be much longer so it should be okay. Once the water turned off, I heard playing and then it got very quiet. Somehow, very quietly, Todd had gotten out of the bath, climbed the gate to the kitchen and took out of a box of margarine then quietly climbed back over the gate and back into the tub. You might ask what do two little boys do with four cubes of margarine in a bathtub? Well, let me tell you. Rick and Todd and the margarine are all in the tub. There was margarine on the walls, all over the bath toys, in their hair, all over their bodies, on the outside of the tub and on the floor. No space was spared. During my hard fought battle becoming the mother I wanted to be, I knew that if I didn't laugh I would cry and probably never stop. It was days like these where it was best to clean up what was critical, pack the kids in the car and head for a park.

Another park day started out once again when I was nursing. Rick and Todd wanted a snack, so they got themselves some popsicles. Then they got some more popsicles and pretty soon my kitchen floor was covered with melting popsicles. I couldn't face it. We packed up and left. I could come back later and tackle the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment