Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Day in the Life of Todd

As soon as Todd could walk, he could climb and this meant climbing out of his crib. Only it wasn't so much a 'climbing' as a going out head first. When he was done with a nap or woke in the morning he didn't need anyone to come get him out. He got himself out! I was in a panic because I thought if he hits wrong he breaks his neck. But he was fine.

Before he turned one, I knew he needed to be our last child. He would take everything I had to keep him safe and we had five other children. Then I found out I was pregnant! There was no way. I know how babies get here and I knew we had taken every precaution. I was so worried about being pregnant and having a new baby while still attempting to keep Todd safe. This of course only added to my exhaustion.

When he was 17 months old I walked into the kitchen after using the bathroom and he was standing on the kitchen counter with a butcher knife in his diaper! Somehow this child had climbed to the top of the refrigerator, opened the cabinet, pulled out the knife, got himself down and climbed back up to the other counter all while holding a butcher knife. I didn't want to yell so he would do something crazy, so I started to move towards him but not soon enough. He jumped off the cabinet pulled the knife out and yelled, "I am Peter Pan!" He made it down without obvious injury but I grabbed him took the knife and took his diaper off, sure to see some definite bleeding and damage. But no, he was fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment