Saturday, January 19, 2013

First & Second Grade

First grade was more challenging. I had refused up to this point to tell the school about his ADHD. I heard horror stories of how schools would force your child to be on medication or they couldn’t come to school. I didn’t want that label to be with him through school. After some very long talks and a lot time spent in the classroom, the teacher became more sympathetic. We made a deal, though. I could usually tell in the morning if it was going to be a bad day and on those days, Todd just stayed home with me. Once he got to school, if things didn't seem to be going well, she would call and I would bring him home.

Second grade was amazing. We were blessed to have the best teacher in the world. First, she loved Todd and that is half the battle. She had very little difficulty and Todd adored her. I often told people if they could just get to know Todd and if they loved him, none of the other stuff was as important. She used very positive discipline techniques and never once had to call me at home. Todd loved school and I begged her to just keep changing grades right along with Todd.

No comments:

Post a Comment