Friday, January 18, 2013

Starting School

I had dreaded the day that Todd would go to school from the moment he could walk. John and I talked for hours on whether we should home school or not. I didn't want Todd getting negative reactions from teachers who weren't willing to give him a chance, yet I thought it was critical that he learn to respect other adults, not just Mom and Dad. I also knew from dealing with teachers and school administrators with our older children that the public school system is designed for the masses. They have round holes and handle round pegs just fine. However, if your child was a square peg, it could be a frustrating, painful process trying to get them to fit in. I knew that it was going to take very tender teachers and that I would be very involved. I thought kindergarten couldn’t be too hard and it actually wasn’t. The biggest problem for Todd was anytime he sat down and stopped moving, he fell asleep. For some reason, the teachers didn’t seem to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment